After two months, I was able to use my start-up funds to buy 8 computers for my research. I will be using these computers for warehouse layout optimization, virtual reality applications, distributed and parallel computing, GPU computing, and any other computing related research that I may be involved in.
Here are the specs for these computers:
- Inspiron Gaming Desktop 5675
- AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Processor (8 Core/16 Threads, 20MB Cache, 3.8 GHz Precision Boost)
- 8GB DDR4 2400MHz
- 256GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive (Storage)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory
- Dual Layer DVD Burner
- 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.1, Dual Band 2.4 & 5 GHz, 2×2
- 460 Watt Power Supply with Polar Blue LED Illumination
I may add later more RAM to these computers but for now it will be enough to perform medium sized warehouse layout optimizations. I still haven’t tested the new Ryzen 7 1700X CPU myself but according to benchmarks it is faster than a 6 core Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 (Multi-core score: 14,635 vs. 13,568). In additiona to that, this one has a dedicated NVIDIA GPU that can be utilized for GPU computing. I can’t wait to learn programming GPU with C# CUDA libraries and use it in my calculations. I am looking forward to use these computers for my research. I’ll keep you posted!
Leave a Reply